Stanley Ernest Adams hadn't been seen in a year: neighbours

Nova Scotia RCMP continue to guard a house in Yarmouth where police discovered the body of 76-year-old Stanley Ernest Adams earlier this week.

Yarmouth man found dead in house; nephew Timothy Stanley Adams charged

The body of 76-year-old Stanley Ernest Adams was found in this Grove Road house on Tuesday. (Craig Paisley/CBC)

Nova Scotia RCMP continue to guard a house in Yarmouth where police discovered the body of 76-year-old Stanley Ernest Adams earlier this week.

Officers had gone to the Grove Road house over the weekend to check on the man and did not get a response. They went back on Tuesday and when they still didn't hear from him, they forced their way inside and found Adams' body.

Police have said Stanley Ernest Adams' body had been in the house for "quite some time" but refused to disclose the condition of the body. An autopsy was scheduled to take place in Dartmouth on Thursday.

"Stan was a good man and he didn't deserve this," said Linda Fevens, who lives across the street.

"Stanley was very shy when I first got to know him but after you get to know him, he's very, very nice. He's very talkative, always had lots of stories, lots of laughs. He always loved the neighbours and the people around him, even though he didn't have a lot of friends."

The man's nephew — 43-year-old Timothy Stanley Adams — has been charged with one count of neglecting to perform duties with reference to burial and one count of offering indignities to human remains.

He appeared in court on Wednesday and was ordered to undergo a 30-day psychiatric exam at the East Coast Forensic Hospital in Dartmouth. His next court appearance is Dec. 20.

Fevens told CBC News she last saw Stanley Ernest Adams in December 2012 when he told her he was heading to Halifax to be treated for some health issues.

'It's sad to see him go this way'

"I never heard from him since," she said Thursday.

"I've been waiting and watching over the house and nothing and so as life goes on, you don't think about it so much and I figured, 'Well, he must've went to Halifax.'"

Linda Fevens, who lives across the street from where Stanley Ernest Adams was found, said she last saw her neighbour in December 2012. (CBC)

Fevens said she was gardening over the summer when she saw Timothy Stanley Adams getting groceries out of a car in front of the blue Grove Road house. She decided to inquire about her friend.

"I hollered to him and I said, 'Tim, how is Stan?' and he didn't answer me at first at all. So I hollered again and I said, 'Tim, how is Stan doing?' He said, 'Oh, he's doing really good. He's staying with my wife in Halifax and she's taking care of him and he's diabetic he can't take care of himself and he's close to the hospital there. He's doing really good,'" she recalled.

"He said, 'I'm cleaning the house up and everything, we're going to sell it in the spring because Stan can't live there alone.' I was kind of excited about it because I thought, 'Well, that's good for Stan. Thank goodness.'"

Fevens said whatever happened, she misses her neighbour.

"I used to take them cookies and just check in on them because they're my neighbours and I always took care of Stan and his family. It's sad to see him go this way. It really is," she said.

"Stan, when his father died, after that he started going to the hospital just to visit the old people because this was the type of guy he was. He loved people and he loved to talk."