SIRT investigating N.S. police over four cases in July

Nova Scotia’s independent Serious Incident Response Team is investigating its fourth case of someone being injured during an encounter with police this month.

Broken ankles, broken ribs among injuries being examined

Nova Scotia’s independent Serious Incident Response Team is investigating its fourth case of someone being injured during an encounter with police this month. 

On July 4, Enfield RCMP arrested a 45-year-old man for allegedly being intoxicated in a public place. Ron MacDonald, director of SIRT, said there was an altercation between the man and RCMP officers in the booking area. The man was injured. 

"EHS responded to a call from the police. After they examined the male he remained in the RCMP cells for the night.  The next morning he continued to complain of pain and was taken to hospital. There it was determined that in addition to a laceration on his chin he had a broken rib," MacDonald said. 

RCMP contacted SIRT. SIRT is responsible for investigating all serious incidents involving police in Nova Scotia, whether or not there is an allegation of wrongdoing. 

Man breaks ankle during chase

In a second case, a man broke his ankle while fleeing police in Bridgewater on Sunday.

Members of the Bridgewater Police Service were called about an alleged shoplifter at the Bridgewater Superstore shortly after 7 p.m.

After they arrived, a 26-year-old suspect ran away. Police chased the man across the bridge on King Street.

He was eventually spotted on the roof of the old post office building at the corner of King and Dominion streets.

In a news release, SIRT director Ron MacDonald said the man then jumped from the roof and broke his ankle in the fall.

Paramedics were called and the man was taken to hospital.

Bridgewater police, in accordance with the Police Act, contacted SIRT a short time later.

Also on July 4, SIRT began investigating an accusation of domestic violence made against an RCMP officer based in Cole Harbour. 

On July 2, SIRT began investigating after a 25-year-old man was arrested by Cape Breton Regional Police officers. The man, who is accused in a home invasion, broke his ankle while fleeing before his arrest.