Steven Laffin will be sentenced in March for brutalizing a prostitute in 2010. (CBC)

A Dartmouth man accused of killing a prostitute more than two years ago will be back in court next month for kidnapping and assaulting a former sex-trade worker.

Steven Elliot Laffin, 38, was told Thursday morning in Nova Scotia Supreme Court that he will be in court on March 7 on convictions for kidnapping, aggravated assault, uttering threats to cause bodily harm and unlawful confinement.

Laffin pleaded guilty to those charges in October. He's awaiting sentencing.

Laffin is also charged with second-degree murder in the case of 29-year-old Nadine Taylor, a Halifax sex trade worker who disappeared two years ago. Police have said her body may never be found.

Rick Woodburn, the Crown attorney, said lawyers are hammering out the details in both cases and they will both be dealt with on March 7.

"We've been in discussions with the defence with regards to both the homicide and the aggravated assault. We set it over for a couple of weeks in order to continue discussions with regards to sentencing and parole eligibility," Woodburn told reporters outside the courtroom on Thursday.

"These things take a long time. We're dealing with two extremely serious matters. We're trying to resolve it in the best interests of society, the family and of course the justice system."

Laffin has not yet entered a plea in the homicide and Woodburn said he may still elect to set a date and go to trial.

Kevin Burke, Laffin's defence lawyer, also confirmed discussions are in progress.

'I just don't think it's fair'

The victim of the aggravated assault, whose identity is protected by a publication ban, was frustrated there has been yet another delay in the case.

"I just don't think it's fair. I don't think it's right," she said after Thursday's brief proceedings.

The charges in her case stem from an incident on Aug. 16, 2010, when she escaped from the trunk of a moving car on Old Sambro Road in Halifax.

The woman — who told CBC News she has since quit the sex-trade — told a harrowing story about how she got into Laffin's car and he drove her to a parking lot.

The woman said Laffin grabbed her throat and choked her. She said when she regained consciousness, her mouth was covered in duct tape and her ankles and wrists were bound.

She said she was sexually assaulted and Laffin slammed her face into the ground and said he would kill her.

The woman said she was stuffed into the trunk of the Laffin's car, but managed to escape and run to a nearby house to call 911.

Laffin was originally scheduled to stand trial on five charges — including attempted murder — but the Crown said that charge will be formally withdrawn when Laffin is sentenced. The charge of aggravated sexual assault was also amended to aggravated assault.

It was during that investigation that Laffin became a suspect in Taylor's disappearance.

Cecil Taylor, Nadine Taylor's father, said on Thursday he wanted the case finished for his daughter's friends.

"I just want it dealt with," he said.