Ryan Good's mother wants prescription drugs off the street
'When you lose a child, you lose a part of your future,' says Trine Good
The mother of a man who died following a drug overdose is speaking out about the importance of keeping prescription drugs out of the wrong hands.
Trinelise Good's son, Ryan, died after taking a lethal combination of cocaine and the prescription drug Dilaudid on Dec. 10, 2012.
“When you lose a child, you lose a part of your future,” said Good.
Ryan would've turned 23 this week.
“No birthday will ever be the same. But I will celebrate his birthday every year, just like he would if he was here,” said Good.
To get through this tough time, Good is asking others to do what she's doing — cleaning out her medicine cabinet and dropping off unwanted prescription drugs at Mic Mac Mall this Saturday.
Members of the Halifax Regional Police and Dalhousie’s pharmacy program will be on hand to accept and properly dispose of the medications.
Ryan died 17 months ago, found dead at his aunt's home in Eastern Passage.
Ryan's aunt, Leah Bordage, is charged with trafficking hydromorphone, .
"So it's very surreal to me that something like this, that is prescribed so easily, can kill someone and took the life of my son," Good said, tearfully.
On Wednesday Good attended court to face Bordage the first time since Ryan's funeral.
However, Bordage didn't appear. Her lawyer did, and the case has been put over for a month.
Good said the court matter is another obstacle is an already tough week for her.
“And then it's Mother's Day, and then there was the court date thing today. So yeah, it has been a tough. I find this really tough, this week,” she said.