Mainstreet Cape Breton
A lively and informative blend of news designed to put Cape Breton listeners back in touch with their communities at the end of the workday.
A former board member with the Shannon School of Business at Cape Breton University says attitudes toward higher education are hardening in the provincial government.
Ports America, the biggest terminal operator in North America, has inked a deal to work with Sydney Harbour Investment Partners to develop and run Novaporte, the planned marine container facility in the Port of Sydney.
Mainstreet Cape Breton clips
Thursday March 08, 2018
Audio CBRM budget reaction
This week, CBRM council passed its budget. Of 12 non-profit groups that made funding application presentations to council, only one was approved -- that was the Cape Breton Fossil Centre. The CBC's Holly Connors spoke with representatives of some of the groups that were turned down.
Thursday March 08, 2018
We speak with Anne Melanson from Bloom Non Profit Consulting firm
Tuesday March 06, 2018
Cynthia Bruce holds a PhD in Educational Studies from Acadia University. She is a faculty member in Acadia's School of Education where she teaches courses in disability studies in education, qualitative research and research design, and diversity and inclusion. Cynthia brings her experience as a blind woman, a disabled student, and a disability activist to her teaching and to her research into the experiences of disabled university students in Nova Scotia.
Monday March 05, 2018
Audio Seeking Council - CBRM
Earlene MacMullin represents district 2, which includes North Sydney,communities of Little Bras D'Or, Bras D'Or, Mill Creek, Point Aconi, Millville, Groves Point, Hillside Boularderie, Southside Boularderie, and Dalem Lake. Ivan Doncaster represents district 7, which includes Howie Center, Sydney Forks, Portage, East Bay, Ben Eoin, St. Andrews Channel, Big Pond, Big Pond Center, Middle Cape, Irish Vale, Irish Cove, Enon, Grand Mira North, Grand Mira South, Upper Grand Mira, Gabarus Lake, Gabarus, French Road, Rock Elm, Huntington, Sandfield, Juniper Mountain, Big Ridge, Marion Bridge, Caribou Marsh, Dutch Brook, Mira Road, and that part of the community of Prime Brook south of Highway 125.
Monday March 05, 2018
NDP leader Gary Burill and Cape Breton Centre MLA Tammy Martin discuss equalization.
Wednesday February 28, 2018
CBRM Council will ask the provincial government to do a full comprehensive audit of the the municipality's spending. District 2 Councillor Earlene MacMullin put the motion forward. She speaks with Mainstreet guest host Wendy Martin.
In the Spotlight
'We like to think of ourselves as a water-rich nation. That's not quite the case anymore,' scientist says
- Protesters target Kinder Morgan's Calgary office on day of action against Trans Mountain
- Higher prices for gasoline and restaurant meals help push up inflation rate to highest point since 2014
- Suspect arrested in connection to assault of man with autism
- Complaints from N.L. of sexual assault by 'travelling doctor' who examined RCMP recruits
- How to avoid spending money on unnecessary oil changes
- Investigating U.K. Deaths Linked To Russia / 'Overlooked' Obits / 'Missing & Murdered' (The Investigators with Diana Swain)
- Investigating Suspicious U.K. Deaths Linked To Russia (The Investigators with Diana Swain)
- Costco under investigation by Ontario forensic team over drug company payments
- How 1 researcher harvested data from 50 million people — and Facebook was designed to help
- Carbon pricing seems obvious to economists, but for many voters it just doesn't click: Don Pittis
- Win or lose, too-close-to-call Pennsylvania race already means 'the House is in danger' for Republicans
- Trade disruption would likely spell the end of North American jobs surge: Don Pittis
- Principles, but mostly politics and boredom, on display in marathon House voting
- MPs freed from House of Commons as Tories bring standoff tactics to an end
- Former top aide to Stephen Harper loses appeal to Supreme Court on influence peddling charge
- 'It's not rocket science:' Ottawa vows to eliminate TB in Inuit communities
- What is Patulous eustachian tube, the disorder affecting Céline Dion?
- Nurse practitioners not always compensated for providing medical assistance in dying
- Austrian lawmakers vote against smoking ban in restaurants and bars
- It's official — the Harper government muzzled scientists. Some say it's still happening
- 'My luck hasn't been very good lately:' Céline Dion cancels more shows over health issues
- Anton Yelchin's family settles lawsuit over death of Star Trek actor
- Fire breaks out on Edward Norton movie set in Harlem, 1 firefighter dies
- This YA author's novel was lambasted for using racist stereotypes — so she rewrote it