Mainstreet Cape Breton
A lively and informative blend of news designed to put Cape Breton listeners back in touch with their communities at the end of the workday.
Christopher Lee was unemployed and looking for work when the Thanksgiving night storm hit Sydney. He wasn't personally affected, so he offered to help friends and family with the clean up.
A community group in the Cape Breton Regional Municipality has received $10,000 dollars to build an outdoor skating rink.
Cape Breton University is honouring one of its former student athletes by hosting a basketball tournament in October in her name.
Mainstreet Cape Breton clips
Wednesday October 12, 2016
Minister Geoff MacLellan, Premier Stephen McNeil, MLA David Wilton MLA Derek Mombourqutte toured the island to assess the damage caused by the recent storm.
Wednesday October 05, 2016
Wendy discusses why studying the music of the people is an important tool of community development with Marcia Ostashewski, Prof at CBU and organizer of the Global Music - Local Connections conference and other delegates.
Severe weather warnings or watches in effect for:
In the Spotlight
- Major cyberattack knocks Twitter, Reddit, Spotify offline on U.S. East Coast
- Nigerians forced to flee Boko Haram now face another risk — starvation
- 'I will see him again in heaven': Hopes dim for Haiti's missing hurricane victims
- Pakistan is going to execute man with schizophrenia, rights group says
- Where you're locked up determines how much time you spend in solitary confinement
- Parents find son's lifeless body after pharmacy switches sleep medication for toxic dose of another drug
- Come By Chance refinery director ordered to pay US$5.25M for 'fraudulent' fuel trades at prior job
- Major pet insurer says dog injuries from 'jumping, running, slipping, tripping or playing' not covered
- Trump a 'puppet' of Putin? WikiLeaks target isn't who you may think, Russia experts say
- Donald Trump and new housing rules delay Canada's growth takeoff: Don Pittis
- Unshackled Trump and confident Clinton to clash in final presidential debate
- Once Mosul is recaptured from ISIS, what then?: Brian Stewart
- Jody Wilson-Raybould gives judges discretion in imposing victims' surcharge
- How does Justin Trudeau really feel about electoral reform? Let's go to the tape
- Waiting to become Canadian: Citizenship ceremonies delayed by judge shortage
- Roy Romanow backs Justin Trudeau on health care funding fight: Chris Hall
- Her husband's sex assault trial ended with a bizarre twist, so this woman went public
- Make America White Again: Why Donald Trump plays the race card
- Clinton vs. Trump: Follow the race for the White House with CBC's presidential poll tracker
- Looking for a place to happen: Canadian stories behind Tragically Hip's lyrics
- Indigenous people find employment in Ontario's Ring of Fire
- NDP Indigenous Affairs critics asking for more mental health services for northern Indigenous communities
- Health worker says Indigenous communities may need different approach to domestic violence
- Indigenous filmmakers need to control storytelling, says Jesse Wente