Pictou County derailment evacuees allowed back home
Cause of derailment still under investigation
Six families forced to leave their homes after a train derailment in Pictou County last week are now back in their houses.
The cleanup continues near West River Station where half a dozen tankers carrying flammable propane and butane left the track.
Sharon Ward, one of the evacuees, said residents were told Saturday night they would be allowed to return home.
"Just glad to get back home again, sleep in our own beds, have our own cup of tea at our own house," she said Monday.
Don MacKenzie, the EMO coordinator in Pictou County, said the decision to allow families to return home after six nights at a motel was made Sunday.
“[They’re] certainly glad to be back but they were looked after, I think, and I think it went well. It’s a construction site, really, right now. The cars have been moved, they are drained —they flare-off the remaining gas and that’s proceeding now,” he said.
MacKenzie said the section of track damaged in the derailment has been repaired.
The cause of the derailment is still under investigation by the Transportation Safety Board.
Genosee & Wyoming Inc., the company that owns the Cape Breton and Central Nova Scotia Railway paid the motel bills.