A paramedic accused of sexually assaulting a 71-year-old woman has been released from police custody and ordered to stay away from the alleged victim and his employer.
James Duncan Keats appeared briefly in Windsor provincial court on Monday morning to face two charges each of sexual assault and breach of trust.
The 47-year-old paramedic made no comment to reporters as he left court. The Crown did not oppose his release.
Keats has been in custody since late last week, when Rawdon RCMP said they received a complaint from a 71-year-old East Hants woman who reported she had been sexually assaulted in her home.
Paramedics had been called to the woman's home to provide treatment for a man living in the house. While one paramedic examined the man, police allege a second paramedic escorted the woman to another room where he said he was going to check her vital signs.
The woman told police that's when the sexual assault took place.
RCMP later determined the same paramedic had allegedly sexually assaulted the same woman on Sept. 1, 2012, while she was being transported by ambulance to the hospital for treatment.
Keats is suspended from his job with Emergency Medical Care while his case is before the courts.
He's due back in court on June 18.