Occupy Nova Scotia may launch a civil lawsuit for wrongful arrest following their eviction from Victoria Park in Halifax last November.

Nearly 30 people gathered at the Grand Parade Saturday to discuss their options.

"Occupy Nova Scotia is not dead. It didn't disappear. We're still here and recently, with the withdrawal of our charges, we've found a new source of energy," said John Thibeau, a spokesperson for the N.S. movement.

Eleven members of the group were charged with obstructing police officers in November, but those charges were dropped earlier this month.

Organizer Ian Matheson said the group has also decided to assemble a people's tribunal to hold the City of Halifax and the Halifax Regional Police accountable.

ns-ip-thibeau-300

Spokesperson John Thibeau says Occupy Nova Scotia will try a new approach. (CBC)

Matheson says Occupy's legal team will work toward exploring possible legal action on a number of fronts including suing the city or police.

But not all protesters agree that legal action is the best route.

"We want to move forward," said Thibeau. "For me it's about ending the cycle of negativity between Occupy protesters and the people of Halifax as well as our government and the police station."

Thibeau said he's spent the last few months listening to the public, and many people told him they don't want public dollars spent on a lengthy court process.

"People were talking about us – good or bad β€“ and now we're trying to proceed with a different sort of perspective."

Thibeau said they did consider suing over the enforcement of the bylaw that lead to their eviction β€“an infraction usually handled with a fine β€“ but he said the time limit to file that suit has passed.

He said they will take some time to consider their next move.

 

With files from The Canadian Press