David Morse, from Harmony, died earlier this month after crashing into a tree at Sugarloaf Mountain. (www.inmemoriam.ca)

The agency that regulates ambulance services in Maine says it will conduct a formal investigation into the death of a Nova Scotia man.

David Morse, from Harmony, died earlier this month after crashing into a tree at Sugarloaf Mountain.

The 41-year-old man, a father of two, was described as an avid snowmobiler and four-wheeler.

"We proceed by interviewing any individuals who may have information that will help us get a full understanding of the care that was provided to Mr. Morse," said Jay Bradshaw, director of Maine Emergency Medical Services.

"In some cases we may wind up subpoenaing records that also provide information for us."

The review comes after Dana Morse, David Morse's wife, alleged the paramedics who responded to her husband's case did not provide adequate or timely treatment.

Morse, a nurse practitioner with a decade of experience in an intensive care unit, said she could see that her husband was dying but when she asked to be with him in the ambulance, the paramedics left her on the side of the road.

"This is a very important case and we want to make sure that for the benefit of all those who have been involved that we do a very thorough job on it," Bradshaw told CBC News on Thursday.

He said any evidence collected will be presented to an EMS regulatory board, which is part of the Department of Public Safety.

A formal investigation gives the agency the power to impose sanctions on both the ambulance service and its attendants if it's deemed necessary, said Bradshaw.

"Actions could include suspending, revoking, or modifying the licence and may involve fines," he said.

"Many of our investigations are routine and some do result in letter of guidance. Others — again, depending upon the specifics — have resulted in licences being revoked and in some cases for an extended period."

When contacted by CBC News on Thursday, Dana Morse said she had laid a complaint with Emergency Medical Services and the organization had informed her of the formal investigation.

She said she was pleased the agency is taking her complaint seriously, but wanted to wait for the outcome of the investigation before commenting further.

The Franklin Community Health Network, which owns Franklin Memorial Hospital and the ambulance service, is conducting its own internal review of the incident.