Lobster boat sinks off N.S. coast as season opens
Everyone on board has been rescued
A fishing boat sank off the coast of Liverpool, N.S., Saturday morning on the first day of the lobster season in waters off the southern portion of the province.
After nearly a week of delays, the lucrative lobster season began in the waters off southern Nova Scotia.
The Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre says all on board are safe.
Dumping day had been delayed this week due to bad weather. On Saturday it finally got underway in zones 33 and 34, which run offshore from Halifax around to Digby.
Fisheries and Oceans Canada had postponed the opening for five days, fearing poor weather during the past week would make it too dangerous for fishermen.
The Canadian Coast Guard and dozens of fisheries officers are monitoring the first day.
In Eastern Passage, Bonnie Wilczynski watched her husband leave the dock. She says she is hoping for a good year.
"We've been waiting a long time to get out there," she said. "All week the weather's been horrible and everyone is sitting on the edge of their seat just waiting for the go."
In Meteghan, N.S., crowds gathered at the wharf Saturday morning. Fishermen there say it’s been one of the longest weather delays to the start of the season in recent memory.
But that’s led to some optimism. Some said prices could be driven higher because there is less supply leading into the Christmas season.
Last season they received about $3 a pound. This year fishermen say they hope for $4.
Southwest Nova Scotia is considered the most lucrative lobster fishing ground in the province. The season lasts six months.