A judge has ruled a challenge of Nova Scotia's Incompetent Persons Act can go ahead, according to Landon Webb, the man at the centre of the debate.
The judge also ruled the 25-year-old is free to speak his mind, Webb said, weeks after his parents ordered the facility where he's being held to block visiting, Internet and telephone privileges.
"It's a great relief to be able to have my words spoken out and to be able to be heard finally," Webb told CBC's As It Happens.
"It was a great struggle for me the last weeks to not be able to express my feelings and emotions."
The Incompetent Persons Act allows a parent or guardian to prove that a person has a "mental infirmity," making that person unable to manage their own affairs. Webb's parents have said he functions at the level of a 10 to 12-year-old child.
Webb wants to work, be with family
Webb has argued he should be found competent, and previously ran away from his residential facility to be independent.
"I'd love to see a lot of changes. For one, I'd love to just be able to be with my family," Webb said.
"I'd love to work a Monday to Friday job, 8 to 5 at a car wash, eventually move myself up to a dealership detailing cars. That's my dream job."
Webb says he's waiting for a reassessment that could change his status.
Webb 'a catalyst' for change
In the meantime, he's received cards and gifts from people across the province. Supporters have rallied on his behalf and the Nova Scotia justice minister has said she'd like to intervene on his behalf.
"Because [Webb's case] has come to light, it is a catalyst for us to have a look at this act and to reconsider what is needed — really to modernize our approach to this," Minister Diane Whalen told CBC's As It Happens earlier this month.
"[The Act] is archaic. No question. It's out of date and it doesn't reflect modern society."
Webb says his challenge of the act will happen in April.