James Landry 'murder for lobster' police video confession released
In the video containing his confession, Landry is questioned by RCMP for over 4 hours
The trial of Joseph James Landry, the lobster fisherman accused of shooting and running down Philip Boudreau, came to an end over the weekend, and the video of his confession to police has now been made public.
Landry had been charged with second-degree murder, but the jury found him guilty of manslaughter.
CBC News has obtained the police video of Landry's confession. It was recorded by RCMP in June 2013, one day after Landry was arrested and one week after Boudreau disappeared.
The video was shown in court as part of the Crown's case against Landry.
Landry is questioned by RCMP officers for more than four hours. At first he denies killing Boudreau, but later admits to it over the rage he felt when he saw Boudreau cutting lobster traps and taunting him.
"I was seeing black. I was so mad," Landry says in the video.
In the video, Landry tells the investigator he took a Winchester .30-30 and shot four times at Boudreau, then ran over the man's smaller boat with the Twin Maggies, the lobster boat he worked on.
"So when you fired those first two shots at Philip, what was your intention?" the investigator asks.
"Killing him," Landry replies.
"Killing him?" the investigator repeats.
"I'm telling you the truth. It's no good — he was no good. You told me not to lie, so I'm telling you the truth," says Landry.
"That's all I want from you," the investigator responds.
"Well, there you go. It's all over now," Landry says.
A jury delivered the manslaughter verdict late Saturday afternoon.
Dwayne Matthew Samson, the captain of the Twin Maggies, is also charged with second-degree murder.
Samson's wife, Carla, owner of the lobster boat and Landry's daughter, faces a charge of accessory after the fact. Craig Landry, a third cousin of James Landry, is charged with accessory after the fact.
In the Acadian village of Petit de Grat, and across Isle Madame, nearly everyone is related to one of those involved in the case.
Victor David, the warden of Richmond County, said there are some strong opinions. Some members of the community have been in favour of the prosecution.
"In the end, it's left up to the judge to decide what happens," he said. "Some would just have liked to have seen everything dropped, so it's a total divide."
Andre LeBlanc, a Petit de Grat resident, said the case has taken a toll in the community. Now that the verdict is in, LeBlanc said, people need to move on.
"I think it's at a point now where the community has to come together and try and heal and accept the decision of the jury," he said. "Really work together to ensure that things like this won't happen again in our community."
LeBlanc said he, like many others, knew there was tension between Boudreau and others for years before the killing.
"You feel a sense of guilt that maybe you failed all those involved," he said. "Both families, the Boudreaus, Landrys, Samsons and the rest of your community."
Landry is scheduled to be sentenced on Jan. 29. He remains in custody.