Herring Cove Road fire leaves couple homeless, cat dead
Flames were contained to one unit in the building
A couple is Spryfield is temporarily homeless after a fire at an apartment on Herring Cove Road Monday afternoon.
Firefighters were called to the apartment building at 429 Herring Cove Rd. on Monday afternoon.
Bryson Wilson, division commander with the Halifax Fire and Emergency Service, says flames were contained to one apartment and into the hallway.
One woman was taken to hospital with smoke inhalation and the building was temporarily evacuated.
Jeffery MacIssac said it was his apartment that burned. He came home to discover the fire was much worse than he expected.
"I was out doing a little job and I came back and they said my apartment was on fire," he said. "I think the wife fell asleep with a cigarette in her hand. I told her lots of times not to fall asleep but [she] can be stubborn."
MacIssac said his 14-year-old cat did not survive.
A section of Herring Cove Road in the Spryfield area of Halifax was closed as crews worked at the scene.