Halifax Relay for Life cancelled after bomb threat
Participants sent home at cancer fundraiser
Hundreds of frustrated participants at a major charity fundraiser in Halifax were told to go home Friday night after someone called 911 and made threats.
Halifax Regional Police said the caller made threats that alluded to the Boston Marathon bombings. Police said they tracked to the call to a payphone at the corner of Spring Garden Road and South Park Street.
Police said officers were at the payphone within two minutes of the call, but they couldn’t find the suspect.
Nearby, nearly 700 people were gathered at the Oval in the Halifax Common for the Relay for Life. Police said it was the only event similar to the Boston Marathon taking place in Halifax Friday night.
Police met with the organizers and the fundraiser was called off.
People immediately voiced their anger online, saying on twitter that the call was "disgusting."
"It is disheartening that someone would make such threats and affect a charity event in our community which many people enjoy every year," said Staff Sgt. Reid McCoombs in a statement.
Police stayed at the Oval to check for suspicious packages after the crowd cleared.
The event has so far raised over $150,000 for the Canadian Cancer Society.