Fire officials rushed to the QEII Health Sciences Centre on Friday morning for reports of an acid spill.
Crews from four firetrucks responded to the call at about 8:30 a.m.
About two tablespoons of peracetic acid, a sterilizing agent, spilled inside a sterilizing machine in the urology department.
Bryson Wilson, is a division commander with the Halifax Fire and Emergency Service, said getting rid of the chemical was quite easy.
"We talked to CANUTEC and asked them for disposal. We looked at the [Material Safety Data Sheets] that said simply with this quantity of spill that we had was to wipe it up with a cloth and then dilute it 20 to one with water," he said.
John GIllis, speaking for the Capital District Health Authority, said he does not believe anyone has been hurt and there is no widespread risk to others.
Everton McLean, with Capital Health, confirmed that one hospital staff member was sent to the emergency room for observation.