Two firefighters have been taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation and heat exhaustion after a fire destroyed a family home in Georges River near Sydney Mines, N.S.

The house is on Johnson Road.

It's not clear whether anyone was home when the fire broke out.

As many as eight volunteer fire departments with tankers were called to the scene. 

It was difficult to get water to the fire because the nearest hydrant is too far away.

Paramedics were standing by to help firefighters overwhelmed by heat from the flames and high humidity.