Sean Jack is being treated in a Halifax hospital.

Shawn Jack suffered serious head injuries after being beaten in North Sydney. (Submitted)

Donations are pouring in for a homeless man who was found in a North Sydney, N.S., grocery store parking lot earlier this week following a severe beating.

A woman from Little Pond, Cape Breton, has started an online fundraiser for Shawn Jack, who lives at a campsite in a wooded area behind a grocery store in North Sydney. Jack was taken to hospital Monday with serious head injuries.

Julia Hawkins says she was upset after hearing about the attack, and decided to set up a crowdfunding account on to raise money for Jack and his dog Chico.

"I was very worried about him and saddened, I guess, because it was senseless crime," Hawkins said. "There was no reason for it as far as I know. And I've heard he's a great guy.

"From everything I've heard, he just minds his own business and we saw him at Walmart. He was just sitting there, writing in a book, with his dog."

By Saturday morning, more than $12,000 had been raised. Hawkins said the response has been overwhelming.

"It warms my heart, it makes me feel really happy for him," she said. "People do care... I want him to know that people are looking out for him and people care and people don't stand for this kind of behaviour."

Three people have been arrested in the case, and Cape Breton police have issued a Canada-wide arrest warrant for a fourth suspect, Cory Patrick Blinkhorn, 22.

Blinkhorn is from Sydney Mines. He is five feet eight inches tall and weighs 186 pounds. Anyone who knows where he is can call police at 902-563-5151 or submit a tip through Crime Stoppers.

Blinkhorn is accused of attempted murder, aggravated assault and wearing a disguise while committing an offence.

Police have already arrested Kyle William Nichol, 25, of North Sydney, Jennifer MacLeod, 22, of Boularderie and a 16-year-old girl in relation to the attack.

Jack sometimes camped in the woods behind the Atlantic Superstore on King Street in North Sydney. Police said the assault took place at the campsite.