Dartmouth family receives outpouring of support after fire
Donations to family have included a fridge, stove, washer and dryer
A military family is receiving an outpouring of support after the house they were renting caught fire earlier this week. The fire left them with nothing.
"We had the clothes on our back. That was all that was left," said Private Kory Owen, a member of the Royal Canadian Air Force.
Owen, his wife and two children had been renting the Taranaki Drive home for a year and a half. Everyone is safe, but the family cat didn't make it.
The family did not have renter's insurance, but people have been dropping off donations to the F Hangar at CFB Shearwater.
Within 24 hours, donations were pouring in and included a fridge, stove, washer, dryer, clothes, toys, microwaves and numerous dining sets.
Owen says whatever donations his family doesn't use will be donated to another family in need.
Tuesday's fire started in a barbeque and has been ruled accidental.
Owen is thankful for the support of the community and his fellow military members.
"It's astounding," he said.