Notorious Halifax crime figure Jimmy Melvin Jr. was in court Thursday morning for an update on the progress of his murder trial.
Melvin is charged with first-degree murder in the February 2009 shooting death of Terry Marriott Jr.
- Jimmy Melvin Jr. misses court date after prison transit snafu
- Jimmy Melvin Jr. wants transfer out of Renous prison
- Halifax crime figure Jimmy Melvin Jr. has history with headlines
Melvin and another man, Regan Taylor Henneberry, are also accused of attempting to kill Marriott about two months before he was shot to death.
Melvin made his court appearance using a video feed from a provincial jail. At one point, just as the proceedings were about to get underway, Melvin stood up and waved his hands over his head, trying to get the attention of people in the courtroom.
Pat MacEwen, Melvin's lawyer, said he's still waiting for a significant amount of disclosure from the Crown. MacEwan said lawyers tried to meet last week to discuss the case but found that without that evidence, they couldn't make any headway.
The case is scheduled to return to court next month. Melvin will once again appear via video from jail.