Connolly Street house fire sends 2 to hospital

Two people were taken to hospital after a fire at a house on Connolly Street in Halifax on Wednesday morning.

Everyone in apartment accounted for, says Halifax Regional Fire

Firefighters are at the scene of a house fire on Connolly Street in Halifax. 0:13

Two people were taken to hospital after a fire started in a house on Connolly Street in Halifax on Wednesday morning. 

Bert Ferguson was on his way home around 9:20 a.m. when he realized what was happening.

"I ended up coming up Chebucto Road and [saw] smoke coming out. Seeing it was my house, I pulled up to make sure everybody got out because I was worried about my stepfather. He's paralyzed on one side and my uncle just had knee surgery,” he said.

The two men were taken to hospital. Their conditions aren't known.

Ferguson had to pull his stepfather out with help from his friend, Jennifer Corbett.

She's worried about his health.

"He had his vocal box removed and there's a like a hole in his throat and the hole goes right down into his lungs. So all of that smoke from the fire would have got in there and stuff so yeah, he's probably in pretty rough shape," she said.

The five other residents escaped unscathed, but their apartments are destroyed. The front and right side of the house are charred.

Crews believe the fire started in the bottom floor apartment.