Catie Miller case: Cellphone turned in to Halifax police

A cellphone related to the Catie Miller case has been turned in to Halifax Regional Police by staff at the Dartmouth Sportsplex.

Parents held vigil in Grand Parade Tuesday night for missing daughter

People lighting candles at the Catie Miller vigil. (CBC/Paul Palmeter)

A cellphone related to the Catie Miller case has been turned in to Halifax Regional Police by staff at the Dartmouth Sportsplex.

Officers wouldn't confirm what the object was. However, Catie Miller's mother told CBC News it was a phone.

"The police detective phoned me around four o'clock to make me aware that there was new evidence, that a cellphone had been dropped off to them," said Terry Miller.

About 300 people were on hand for Tuesday evening's vigil. (CBC/Paul Palmeter)

"Catie would want to be hanging on to her phone," said her father John Miller. "So if her phone is separated from her, that may not be good."

The Millers held a candlelight vigil in her honour Tuesday night in Grand Parade. About 300 people attended it. Some people were family and friends, while others were strangers.

Terry Miller spoke about the pain she is dealing with.

"There have been no words invented to describe this pain, I feel like I'm living in a nightmare," she said.

The vigil was full of song and emotion, and wrapped up with a rendition of Amazing Grace, which had many tears flowing in the crowd.

This coming Sunday, Catie's parents and other people will be canvassing her North End Dartmouth neighbourhood to see if anybody has any information they can provide about the case.

The 29-year-old woman disappeared exactly four weeks ago, prompting her parents to plead for a Canada-wide search.

Miller last made contact with her family on July 15, when she sent her mother a text message.

Police say Catherine (Catie) Miller has brown shoulder-length hair that she often wears in a ponytail, pierced ears and grey eyes. (Submitted by Halifax Regional Police)

​John Miller says Catie hasn't used her phone or social media, or accessed her bank account since.

The Millers doubt their daughter intended to leave.

They say she had paid the power bill and had cable TV installed in her Windmill Road apartment. Her hair straightener, which she always used, was left behind. There was also a cat left alone without food or water.

Catie Miller also skipped an appointment on July 28 that her parents feel was important to her.