An 18-year-old man is facing several charges after a barbecue went wrong Wednesday morning in Halifax.

Halifax Regional Police said at 5:08 a.m., officers responded to a break and enter on Main Avenue, where a man reported waking up and seeing flames near his garage.

Those flames were coming from his barbecue, as a result of an over-cooked rack of ribs — ribs that had been stolen from a freezer in his garage.

In a news release, Const. Brian Palmeter said police dogs found the 18-year-old man hiding in a nearby yard. He said the man had other stolen items with him.

"The victim was able to extinguish the fire, however, the meal was a total loss," Palmeter said.

The 18-year-old man faces charges of break and enter, theft, possession of stolen property, breaching a weapons’ prohibition, carrying a concealed weapon and trespassing.

He is scheduled to appear in Halifax provincial court on Wednesday.