Big Hugs Elmo overheating batteries not an isolated case
Company not recalling toy after man says batteries got dangerously hot
Hasbro is acknowledging it has received a small number of complaints over battery problems with the popular toy, Big Hugs Elmo.
Dave Waterhouse told CBC he bought the toy as a Christmas present. But as soon as he put batteries in, the plastic casing began to split.
Waterhouse tried three sets of batteries in all, but each time the same thing happened.
He urged other parents to check their Big Hug Elmos to make sure their children are safe.
After that story aired on CBC Nova Scotia, the newsroom received other similar complaints.
Saturday, Hasbro replied, saying product safety is its top priority.
"We're asking those consumers to please work with our Consumer Care team to return the product to us for evaluation," the company said in a statement.
Hasbro also said it would replace the toy or refund the purchase for anyone who has the problem.