Beating victim Ryan Taylor fears accused will return

A Nova Scotia man who was badly beaten in his yard in Annapolis County over the weekend, says he lives in fear because the two men accused of the crime are roaming free.

WARNING: Graphic image might offend some readers

Ryan Taylor said he's afraid his accused assailants will return now that they are out on bail. (Facebook)

A Nova Scotia man who was badly beaten in his yard in Annapolis County over the weekend, says he lives in fear because the two men accused of the crime are roaming free.

Ryan Taylor, 35, lives in Lequille with his wife and two children. He was loading his car and preparing to pick up his kids and wife on Saturday night when two men rode onto his property on an all-terrain vehicle.

Taylor said the men told him they were hunting deer — even though it was after dark.

He told them they should not be hunting near his home. Taylor said that's when the two men attacked him.

"They beat me with a hunting rifle and flashlights, they were blasting lights in my eyes, distracting me and they kept beating and beating and they wouldn't stop," he told CBC's Mainstreet.

"I picked up a piece of wood and tried to defend myself. Eventually I collapsed by the side of the driveway and made my way to the side of the house, trying to get to a snow shovel, but they just kept going."

It's an absolutely terrifying feeling.-Ryan Taylor

Taylor said the attack lasted for several minutes and he had managed to wrap his legs around one of the men. Eventually, he heard a gun go off.

"One of the guys, the guy I had wrapped in my legs, he was telling the other guy, 'Chamber the gun, chamber the gun.' The other guy was taking the gun and he was swinging it on me, hitting me in the head," said Taylor.

"The gun went off. They kicked for several more seconds and I started bleeding profusely and they assumed, from what they said, they thought I was going to die or was dead on the ground."

Taylor wasn't hit with the bullet.

Men released on bail

The men left and Taylor pulled himself off the ground, managed to get into his house and called police. He had gashes on his head and more than a dozen stitches were required to close the wounds.

"There were pools of blood from one side of the house to the other and the driveway, the lawn had it all over the place," he said.

"There was towels coated with it, clothing coated with it."

Ryan Taylor's brother snapped this picture at the hospital following the backyard beating. (Facebook)

Taylor said he believes someone was watching out for him that day and that was the only reason he survived.

A 33-year-old man and a 31-year-old man, both of Annapolis County, have been charged in the attack. They're charged with assault causing bodily harm, assault with a weapon and possession of a weapon dangerous to the public.

They've been released on bail.

"I assumed that those guys figured that either I was living single and that they could come in and rob the house or they may have just been jacking deer and got caught back there but nonetheless, I believe that it wasn't just something that just happened," he said.

Taylor now fears they'll be back.

"That's what scares me the worst, people planning to do stuff like that and they're let right back out of jail."

Cpl. Dale Guy, with the Annapolis District RCMP, said he believes residents should feel safe in their homes.

"We know these two individuals from other incidents that have happened over the years," Guy said.

"I can appreciate what [Taylor] has gone through and I just hope he stays positive and we'll have to wait and see what happens in court now."

Taylor said the incident has him "thinking twice about a lot of things."

"I don't want to move from the area but my nerves are telling me, man, if those guys are out, I'd have to. I don't want them to know where I am. It honestly does scare me to be in this house," he said.

"It's an absolutely terrifying feeling."