A youth has been charged with arson after a fire in the men's bathroom of the Dr. Carson and Marion Murray Community Centre in Springhill.

The fire started Wednesday at approximately 6 p.m. as people were in the facility, said Don Tabor, the chief administrative officer for Springhill.

Officers with the Springhill Police Service told CBC News a garbage can in the bathroom was lit on fire, causing a paper towel dispenser to ignite. The sprinklers went off and flooded the lower level of the centre.

ns-springhill-centre-4col

A fire in the men's washroom has temporarily closed the Dr. Carson and Marion Murray Community Centre in Springhill. (Paul Palmeter/CBC)

The fire was quickly put out but Tabor called the damage "significant."

The Dr. Carson and Marion Murray Community Centre was closed Thursday.

Tabor said insurance adjusters are expected at the building and there's no word yet on how much it will cost to fix the damage or when the building can reopen.