Amherst fire spreads, forcing man from home

An Amherst fire that started in a vacant house and spread to an older two storey building next door has forced one man from his home.

An Amherst fire that started in a vacant house and spread to an older two storey house next door has forced one man from his home.

Canadian Red Cross spokesman Dan Bedell said the man not only lived in the Laplanche Street house, but also ran a business out of the first floor. The nearby vacant house was destroyed.

Bedell said the man is not injured and is staying with relatives.

Insurers are assessing the damage and the fire is under investigation, he said in a news release.