Convicted killer Christopher Alexander Falconer is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Amber Kirwan. (CBC)

The man accused of murdering New Glasgow teenager Amber Kirwan made a brief court appearance Monday afternoon as his defence lawyer received the evidence in the case.

Convicted killer Christopher Alexander Falconer, who is charged with kidnapping and first-degree murder in Kirwan's death, appeared in Pictou provincial court with his new defence lawyer, Mike Taylor.

"There's a lot of information that has to be reviewed before I have any idea what the Crown's case is against him," Taylor told reporters outside the courthouse.

"He's just taking a wait-and-see attitude at this point and it's very early in the process."

Kirwan, 19, vanished in October after a night out with friends in New Glasgow. On Nov. 5, her remains were found in a wooded area off Heathbell Road, about a half-hour drive from the pool hall where she was last seen.

At the time Kirwan disappeared, Falconer, 29, was out on parole after serving time in prison for the second-degree murder of a cab driver in 1998.

Falconer back in court July 27

While police ruled Kirwan's death a homicide, they didn't say when or how she was killed.

Bill Gorman, the Crown attorney, said that information is contained in several boxes of evidence given to the defence on Monday.

"It started as a missing persons investigation and morphed into a homicide investigation," he told reporters.

"You've got two major professional police forces that have been basically hunting and interviewing hundreds and hundreds of people in terms of what they know, investigating various sources and all those investigative details have to be kept collated and provided to the defense as part of full and complete disclosure."

Taylor said he has more than 10 boxes worth of evidence to go through.

"There was a lengthy and detailed search that was done before Ms. Kirwan was finally found and that was a considerable body of information collected during that time as well so that's part of it," he told CBC News.

"There will be somewhere between 10 to 15 bankers boxes full of documents if it's all printed out. It's not going to be printed out, I'll have it in electronic form."

Taylor said it will take eight weeks for him to go over the Crown's case and in the meantime, Falconer will be sent back to a federal prison in New Brunswick.

Falconer will be back in court on July 27 to determine if there will be a preliminary hearing.