A Metro Transit Access-a-Bus driver has been arrested following allegations he sexually assaulted a passenger.
Sgt. Alain LeBlanc of the Halifax RCMP said a 35-year-old woman from Cole Harbour came forward on Thursday at 10:30 a.m. She said she had been sexually assaulted on several occasions on an Access-a-Bus.
"The RCMP investigation revealed that the victim, a frequent user of the Access-a-Bus service in the Cole Harbour area, had been assaulted numerous times over a two week period while she was a passenger on the bus," LeBlanc said.
RCMP arrested a 66-year-old driver later that day.
The Cole Harbour man faces:
- Seven counts of sexual assault
- Seven counts of unlawful confinement
- Seven counts of sexual exploitation of a person with a disability
He was released from custody and is due in Dartmouth Provincial Court April 16.
The driver, who has not yet been named, is suspended with pay pending the outcome of the case.
Eddie Robar, director of Metro Transit, calls the situation "devastating." He said the accused has been a Metro Transit driver for 18 years.
Every Access-A-Bus has three cameras and Metro Transit has turned over video evidence to police.
Robar also said the driver would have passed a criminal record check before getting the job.