5 Mother's Day dates for Sunday
From Birchtown to Sydney, we've got you covered
Sunday is Mother’s Day. And while breakfast in bed and flowers are great, maybe this year you can try something different to celebrate the mothers in your life.
1. Run, Mom, Run: There are two 5k events on Sunday. There's a Mother’s Day run at the Civic Centre in Sydney. In New Glasgow, there’s the Miss Miles Mother's Day Classic. Both go Sunday morning. Check the Run Nova Scotia website for more details.
2. Sing a song: The National Youth Choir performance Sunday afternoon at the St. John’s Anglican Church in Lunenburg. The choir is made up of singers between 18 and 25 years old. Tickets are $20, $10 for students. The concert starts at 3 p.m. Click for details.
3. Have a spot of tea: Get out your best hat and head down to 1260 Blenheim Terrace for a Downton Abbey-style afternoon tea. It’s being held at Sir Sandford Fleming’s original manse starting at 4:00 pm and is hosted by the Nova Scotia Youth Orchestra. Enjoy tea with all the trimmings and entertainment by the Blue Engine String Quartet. Tickets are $50 per person and available by calling 423-5984.
4. Celebrate Hank Snow: Fans of country music legend Hank Snow are celebrating the 100th anniversary of his birth in his hometown of Liverpool, N.S., this weekend. Saturday sees a concert series at Astor Theatre from 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. with 12 bands and the screening of a new biopic of Snow. Sunday has a church service, picnic, plus cemetery tour. Click for details.
5. Have a slice of cheesecake festival: The Black Loyalist Heritage Society is hosting a Mother’s Day Cheesecake Festival Sunday from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., with cake, coffee and entertainment. The event takes place in the Birchtown Community Centre in Birchtown, N.S.