3 face drug charges after Halifax raids

Halifax Regional Police have charged three people with drug offences after a series of raids conducted on Monday.

No charges related to Saturday's drive-by shooting

Halifax Regional Police have charged three people with drug offences after a series of raids conducted on Monday.

Although police initially said the raids were in connection with a drive-by shooting in the city's north end over the weekend, none of the charges relate to that incident.

Four men, all in their 20s, were arrested after police executed three search warrants on Monday — one in Williamswood and two in Halifax.

One man was released with no charges.

A 22-year-old man arrested at the Williamswood house has been released, but faces a charge of possession for the purpose of trafficking. Halifax Regional Police said they found cocaine in the house.

Two other Halifax men — aged 20 and 27 — are due in a Halifax court Tuesday to face charges of possession for the purpose of trafficking, unsafe storage of a firearm, possession of a weapon and possession of a loaded restricted firearm.

During their search of the home in Williamswood, Halifax Regional Police discovered a suspicious package and called in the bomb disposal unit. Old Sambro Road was closed for several hours while officers and two remote-controlled robots secured the package.

There is still no word on what police found.

At the same time, officers started searching an apartment on Ogilvie Street in south-end Halifax and two packages were thrown out a window.

CBC News arrived in time to see police officers collecting the packages, one of which appeared to be a handgun wrapped in white cloth.

Meanwhile, the investigation continues into Saturday morning's shooting, where Halifax Regional Police were called to Robie and McCully streets at around 2:15 a.m.

A taxi driver approached them and said he had been driving a passenger northbound on Robie Street when a silver car pulled up and someone started shooting at the cab. No one was injured.

The passenger fled the cab as soon as the driver pulled over.