The Yukon government is set to make it mandatory for homes to have a carbon monoxide detector.
The change to legislation would apply to every home that heats with an oil furnace and those with attached garages.
Another change would require the use of a certified oil-burner mechanic when installing or modifying heating appliances.
A news release from Elaine Taylor, minister of Community Services, said the legislation could be passed in the spring.
The change is one of the recommendations of a working group formed after five people in Whitehorse died of carbon monoxide poisoning in January 2012.