Yukon Review Board orders Titus Charlie released from jail
Whitehorse man with dementia will be placed into supervised care
A Whitehorse man with severe dementia has been ordered released from jail, after 10 weeks behind bars at the Whitehorse Correctional Centre.
The Yukon Review Board says Titus Charlie, 53, is unfit to stand trial. After assessing his risk to the public, the board ordered Charlie into supervised government care as soon as possible.
Earlier this winter, Charlie was moved into a hotel room next to the '98 Saloon in Whitehorse where he lived unsupervised. After an incident outside the Salvation Army on Christmas Eve, he was arrested and jailed.
"There is no place [for Charlie]," said Bob Dick, Charlie's lawyer. "It's either on the street or in jail, until an order comes down from the review board saying he's unfit."
Charlie has severe dementia and permanent brain damage that's deteriorating. He's twice been ruled unfit to stand trial and been in supervised government care for most of the past decade. Dick said that changed when the Crown dropped all charges against him in the fall of 2013.
"When that happens, everything falls apart because the Crown has no authority over him, the court has no authority over him, the review board has no authority over him. He's on his own, basically," Dick said.
Charlie will be released Monday to a supervised temporary home with the expectation that a permanent home will be ready next month.
- An earlier version of this story implied that the staying of charges against Charlie occurred recently, when in fact the Crown stayed those charges in September, 2013.Mar 06, 2016 9:52 AM CT
With files from Vic Istchenko