Yukon coroner calls inquest into carbon monoxide deaths

Yukon's chief coroner has called an inquest into the deaths of five people from carbon monoxide poisoning in their home in January.

Five people died in Porter Creek home in January

A family of four and a boarder were found dead from carbon monoxide in a Porter Creek home in January. Porter Creek is a neighbourhood on the north side of Whitehorse. (CBC)

Yukon's chief coroner has called an inquest into the deaths of a Whitehorse family and their boarder who were found dead in their home from carbon monoxide poisoning in January.

Bradley and Valerie Rusk, their two children Gabriel and Rebekah, and Donald McNamee were found dead by a friend of the family in their rented house in Porter Creek on Jan. 29.

"I've reviewed the investigative file and the legislation and I have reason to believe the deceased individuals came to their death under circumstances which make holding an inquest advisable," said Kirsten Macdonald, Yukon's chief coroner.

A report issued by the Yukon Fire Marshal's office in April said the poisoning was accidental and that an ice blockage in the last two feet of the chimney caused the build-up of carbon monoxide in the air inside the house.

The report also stated the chimney was falling apart and parts of the home’s heating system had not been properly installed, contributing to the freezing of the chimney.

Macdonald said the inquest will be open to the public and will hear evidence from witnesses to determine the facts surrounding the deaths.

A date for the inquest has not been set.