People in Whitehorse are rushing to buy carbon monoxide detectors in the wake of this weekend's tragic deaths.

Investigators have not confirmed that carbon monoxide poisoning was the cause of death in the tragedy, but it is one of the causes they are looking into.

The team investigating did, however, say Tuesday that carbon monoxide levels in the house were 10 times higher than what would have set off a detector.

The Canadian Tire store in the city completely sold out Monday. More of the sensors are being flown into the city.          

The sensors are small and look like a smoke detector and some models combine both functions.

mi-carbon-mono-detector-stock

Investigators say carbon monoxide levels in the house where the five people were found dead Sunday were 10 times higher than what would have set off a detector. Whitehorse residents have been rushing to stores to buy the devices in wake of the tragedy. (iStockphoto)

"We placed an emergency order with our corporate head office, which is in Toronto. It normally takes 12 days to get products so we had an emergency order put on a flight and we're hoping to have the product tomorrow sometime," said Dan Charlebois, who owns the Whitehorse Canadian Tire.

Anxious homeowners want the security of a detector.

"I'm here looking for a CO [carbon monoxide] detector because of the tragedy we had in Whitehorse on the weekend and I looked at my house and I thought I had carbon monoxide but I just have smoke alarms so … I imagine there'll be some laws put into place because of this," said Trent Jamieson.

Currently, the city's building code requires all homes built after 1995 to have a carbon monoxide detector.

"In the 1995 code, it was essentially [a] CO detector [was] required in the same room as your fireplace. In 2005 they upgraded that into incorporating it into each bedroom or the hallway serving the bedrooms or if you have an attached garage to your house as well," said senior building inspector with the city of Whitehorse,  Doug Thorseth.

That requirement doesn't extend to homes built before 1995 and the city said it has no way to enforce people to install them, which leaves the responsibility with the homeowner.