Volunteer firefighter's quick action averts school fire

A firefighter in the right place at the right time likely helped avert a major fire at the school in Haines Junction, Yukon, on Wednesday.

Haines Junction, Yukon, firefighter spotted smoke at St. Elias

A firefighter in the right place at the right time likely helped avert a major fire at the school in Haines Junction, Yukon, on Wednesday.

A fire started in one of the walls, near the shop at St Elias Community School.

A local volunteer firefighter happened to be at the school at the time. She alerted the rest of volunteer fire department when she saw smoke.

"I think it was maintenance-related," said Martin Eckervogt, Haines Junction fire chief, of the fire's origin.

"There was some maintenance done in that area earlier in the day due to frozen water lines which were thawed out and it's possible that the heat source was the cause of it."

Eckervogt says the fire caused a few thousand dollars worth of damage.

He says the students were back in class about an hour after the fire was reported.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.