Tuktoyaktuk house fire leaves man, 34, with serious burns

RCMP in the N.W.T. are reminding the public of the importance of fire safety after a 34-year-old man in Tuktoyaktuk received serious burns due to a fire in his porch.

RCMP in the N.W.T. are reminding the public of fire safety after a 34-year-old man received serious burns due to a fire in his porch.

Police received a report of a house fire in the Reindeer Point neighbourhood early Sunday morning, a news release says.

A 34-year-old man was awakened by a fire alarm to find a fire inside his porch.

He got out, but received serious, non-life-threatening burns and was medevaced to Inuvik.

Police and the local fire department responded to the alarm, but the house was a complete loss.

Police say the fire is not considered suspicious, but they are using the opportunity to remind people to be safe, especially around Christmas trees and when using electrical appliances. 

They also advice on the importance of fire detectors with working batteries. 

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.