Bridge linking N.W.T. capital with rest of Canada opens
$202M Deh Cho Bridge across Mackenzie River will replace ferry service
CBC News
Posted: Nov 30, 2012 10:47 AM CST
Last Updated: Dec 1, 2012 3:54 PM CST
Related
Related Stories
External Links
(Note:CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external links.)
N.W.T. Premier Bob McLeod cut the ribbon officially opening the Deh Cho Bridge across the Mackenzie at Fort Providence Friday afternoon.
The one-kilometre long Deh Cho Bridge is the first bridge to stretch across the Mackenzie River and will replace ferry service and a winter ice crossing. It will be the first year-round road link between N.W.T.’s North Slave region communities, including the capital Yellowknife, and the rest of the country.
Department of Transportation spokesperson Earl Blacklock said several hundred people were expected to enjoy the festivities at Fort Providence.
Jim Basha, an engineer and president of Ruskin Construction, said the bridge is one of the most unique in North America.
The bridge's piers are designed to cut through the river's ice during spring break-up. He also said the bridge is the longest, jointless bridge on the continent.
"It's all pieces that are assembled and pushed together and locked together — trying to lighten it up as much as you could, because of the length and because of transportation, in terms of getting it all there."
Fifty thousand tonnes of steel were shipped from Quebec to Hay River for the bridge's construction. The complicated construction process included installing a temporary bridge for the workers five times, something that had to endure temperatures as cold as -58 C.
10 years in the making
It wasn't until 2000 that the Government of the Northwest Territories started talking seriously about constructing a bridge over the Mackenzie River.
Joe Handley was the transportation minister and minister of economic development at the time. He was just ending his term as premier in 2007 when the government negotiated a contract to get the bridge built.
"You know, there are people who would criticize it, but I'll tell you, within a few years, it's there and we'll wonder how we got along without it," he said.
Ten years ago, developers thought the bridge could be built for $50 million. After four years of construction and delays, the total cost wound up hitting $202 million.
The opening of the bridge also means saying goodbye to the Merv Hardie ferry.
Though many have a sentimental attachment to the ferry, Cathy Comeau says the territory is ready for change and a reliable link to the south.
"The ferry was backed up, so we slept in the car in the middle of the winter in a little Toyota Corolla and we kept turning the heat off and on,” she said. “It wasn't good."
Ben Walker, general manager of Yellowknife’s Co-op grocery store, said he is elated by the bridge opening. Never again will the store need to airlift supplies across the river during freeze-up and break-up.
"If it was really down for a while, we could spend $150,000 to $200,000 just in freight,” he said. “You really felt vulnerable."
Share Tools
Latest North News Headlines
- Med student aids apparent stabbing victim in Yellowknife
- A man is believed to have been stabbed on 50th street in Yellowknife early Sunday morning. more »
- Iditarod sled dog race kicks off in Willow, Alaska
- The 41st Iditarod Trail sled dog race officially started in Willow, Alaska, today. more »
- Feds re-open abandoned Nunavut oil field for bidding
- The federal government plans to hold a call for bids for oil and gas discovery licenses for the Bent Horn lands off Baffin Island in Nunavut. more »
- N.W.T. woman killed in standoff made threats on phone
- A Yellowknife coroner's jury heard Karen Lander make threats and suicidal statements in her final conversations with police in the hours before she was shot and killed during a standoff last year. more »
Top News Headlines
- Quebec papal contender 'ready' but wary of media spotlight
- Quebec Cardinal Marc Ouellet, who is considered by some to be a leading contender for the Vatican's top post, tells CBC's Peter Mansbridge in an exclusive interview he knows he must be ready to become the next pope as cardinals prepare to select Benedict's successor.
more »
- Baby born HIV-positive apparently cured, say scientists
- A baby born with HIV appears to have been cured, scientists announced Sunday, describing the case of a child from Mississippi who's now 2 ½ and has been off medication for about a year with no signs of infection. more »
- Egypt's politician skewer, testing the limits of post-revolution satire
- Meet Egypt's Jon Stewart, a former heart surgeon turned late-night TV host whose biting satire has not endeared him to the country's political class. But, as Nahlah Ayed reports, comedian Bassem Youssef may be the revolution's real star. more »
- Clark says B.C. Liberal cabinet is 'united'
- Embattled B.C. Premier Christy Clark said her cabinet was "united" after emerging from a three-hour emergency cabinet meeting in Vancouver Sunday night. more »
- Body of man found in home where police officer was killed
- The lifeless body of a man has been found inside a home in northern Quebec, ending a 17-hour standoff that left one police officer dead and another seriously injured on Saturday night. more »
- Body of man found in home where police officer was killed
- Iditarod sled dog race kicks off in Willow, Alaska
- N.W.T. woman killed in standoff made threats on phone
- Plane seized in suspected caribou hunt
- Med student aids apparent stabbing victim in Yellowknife
- Yukon minister offers 2 choices for school year start
- Iqaluit undertaker can park hearse in Apex
- Tlicho chief says devolution won't affect land and water board
- Sanikiluaq, Nunavut, hunters harvest trapped belugas

