Search underway for man missing near Taloyoak
Man's snowmobile found out of fuel
Posted: Nov 20, 2012 1:47 PM CST
Last Updated: Nov 20, 2012 2:20 PM CST
A search is underway for a missing man near Taloyoak, Nunavut.
Bob Lyall said Pootoogoo Jayco has been homeless for many years, and Lyall said he has been letting him stay at his cabin about five miles outside of the community.
Lyall said Jayco was missing when he went to check on him on Saturday. That's when the search began.
“They found his Bravo snowmobile out of fuel and searchers are tracking his footprints heading in the wrong direction,” Lyall said in Inuktitut. “Due to a recent blizzard, sometimes his footprints disappear.”
Lyall asked for everyone to pray for the missing man and his safe return.
Latest North News Headlines
- 2 climbers rescued off Yukon mountain after 5 days
- Two climbers were rescued off Mount Eaton this weekend in Kluane National Park in Yukon. more »
- 'Suicide contagion' spreads after schoolmate death
- Youth who had a schoolmate die by suicide are more likely to consider or attempting it, according to a large Canadian study into "suicide contagion." more »
- Nunavut MLAs say public housing units not fairly distributed
- Some Nunavut MLAs are raising questions, as the majority of new public housing units will be built in cabinet ministers' communities. more »
- Yukon not protecting group home workers, says former employee
- A former group home worker says the Yukon Department of Health and Social Services isn't doing enough to protect the safety of employees and youth in Whitehorse. more »
Top News Headlines
- Oklahoma tornado death count not firm, governor says
- Children driven around too much, Canadian report suggests
- Senate set to debate expense audits amid greater scrutiny
- Keith Boag: Have you heard about the murderous abortion doctor?
- Nunavut spent half as much per student as N.W.T., Yukon
- Bell Mobility to appeal ruling in 911 lawsuit
- Long-awaited mental health centre opens in Iqaluit
- Yukon flood victims advised to register with government
- Yellowknife rental units still pricey, despite more vacancy
- Rankin Inlet, Nunavut, digs out from record snowfall
- Canadian students compete in northern history film program
- Agnico-Eagle worker found alive after blizzard
- NDP wants RCMP inquiry into $90K payment to Duffy