Salluit Co-Op store destroyed in fire
The Co-Op general store in the Nunavik village of Salluit, Que., burned to the ground Monday night.
Smoke was first noticed at around 7:30 p.m. ET.
Mark Amaamattuaq, president of Nunavik's Co-Op Federation, told CBC News on Tuesday that high winds fanned the fire, making it impossible to extinguish.
Amaamattuaq said the blaze also damaged the Co-Op hotel next door to the store. The hotel had to close as a result, he added.
The fire is believed to have started in the Co-Op's furnace room, Amaamattuaq said.
There were no injuries.