Whitehorse deli

Yukon Meat and Sausage, better known as "The Deli" was closed Thursday because of a kitchen fire. (Google Street View)

A popular lunch spot in downtown Whitehorse was closed Thursday because of a kitchen fire.

Staff say perogies in butter caught fire in the oven at Yukon Meat and Sausage, better known as "The Deli."

Staff tried to put the fire out with baking soda. When that didn't work, they used a fire extinguisher. That left the entire store covered in white powder.

Staff were busy cleaning up the mess on Thursday. The store is expected to reopen Friday.