Oily rags started July fire at new F.H. Collins school in Whitehorse

A small fire at the new F.H. Collins school in Whitehorse in July started in a bag of oily rags carelessly stored, CBC News has learned.
Investigators determined the July fire started spontaneously in a garbage bag with oily rags, stored in an equipment room. (Yukon government)

A small fire at Whitehorse's new F. H. Collins Secondary School in July could have been prevented if basic safety rules had been followed, CBC News has learned.

The fire started in the early hours of July 22, in a bag of oily rags. According to an email from Clark Builders, the main contractor building the new school, workers had been varnishing the gymnasium floor and left some used rags in a garbage bag.

Oily rags produce heat through oxidation, and will spontaneously burst into flames if they get hot enough. A fire inspection at F.H. Collins determined that's what happened.

"Luckily, the sprinklers had been installed and the sprinklers actually extinguished the fire. So that was lucky for us," said Wayne Smyth, who investigated the fire.

Smyth said he believes the risk of spontaneous combustion is common knowledge among contractors. 

"The National Fire Code actually stipulates that rags and materials that are used in floor finishing have to be disposed of outside of the building, and they should be disposed of at the end of every work day," Smyth said.

All oils a potential hazard

Yukon College carpentry instructor Don Gillies agrees and said there are safety steps everyone should follow including people working with varnish-soaked rags at home.

"At the very least, do not bunch them up and leave them lying on the floor inside your house. Don't put them into containers with other combustibles," Gillies said.

He recommends laying rags outside to dry, then disposing of them in a sealed can with water.

"I would recommend treating all oils as a potential hazard," Gillies said.

The city of Whitehorse won't accept oily rags at the landfill, as they are considered hazardous waste. The city collects hazardous waste twice a year, in May and September. 

The F. H. Collins fire caused some water damage from the sprinklers, but Yukon government officials say construction is still on schedule. The new school is slated to open in January.

CBC contacted the contractor, Clark Builders, but has not received a response.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.