Nunavut leads Canada in health care costs per person

Nunavut leads the country in per capita health care spending, followed by the N.W.T. and Yukon, according to a study released Tuesday by the Canadian Institute for Health Information.

N.W.T. and Yukon follow in 2nd and 3rd place

Nunavut leads the country in per capita health care spending, according to a study released Tuesday by the Canadian Institute for Health Information.

In Nunavut, health care is expected to cost an estimated $13,152 in 2013, according to the study. 

Qikiqtani General Hospital in Iqaluit. Nunavut leads the country in per capita health care spending, followed by N.W.T. and Yukon, according to a study released Tuesday by the Canadian Institute for Health Information.

The Northwest Territories has the second highest per capita cost at $10,686. Yukon has the third with $9,979 per person.

The average cost across Canada is $5,988 per person.  

Health care costs continue to rise across Canada, but spending has slowed down. This year's increases are the lowest since the mid-1990s, says the study.

It says total health spending in Canada this year will be $211 billion, up by just 2.6 per cent. That's less than half the annual growth racked up over the last 10 years.

The report says governments pick up approximately 70 per cent of the health care cost per person. The remaining 30 per cent comes from private sources such as health insurance and individuals' own out-of-pocket expenses.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.