A total of 44 Nunavummiut are running for office in Nunavut's territorial election set for Oct. 27.
Elections Nunavut released the official list of candidates late Friday night. Candidates had until 2 p.m. local time Friday to file their candidacy form, and until 5 p.m. to withdraw.
Ten incumbent MLAs are among the 44 candidates who are seeking re-election, including Premier Paul Okalik and Finance Minister Louis Tapardjuk.
Two MLAs already know they are returning to the legislative assembly: Keith Peterson and Tagak Curley have been acclaimed in Cambridge Bay and Rankin Inlet North, respectively.
But in the South Baffin constituency, where Olayuk Akesuk recently announced he wouldn't be seeking re-election, nobody stepped forward to seek the seat.
With no election race happening in South Baffin, officials say a byelection will be held there after the Oct. 27 general election.
Hot contests in Iqaluit
Okalik is facing off against Iqaluit Mayor Elisapee Sheutiapik in the Iqaluit West constituency, in what could shape up to be one of the hottest races in the territorial election.
In Iqaluit East, city councillor Glen Williams is running against former languages commissioner Eva Aariak and Kakki Peter in a race to succeed Ed Picco, who announced last week that he was not seeking re-election.
In Iqaluit Centre, incumbent Hunter Tootoo is up against Okalik Eegeesiak, Madeleine Redfern and Joe Sageaktook.
In Rankin Inlet, Mayor Lorne Kusugak is running against incumbent Levinia Brown in the Rankin Inlet South-Whale Cove constituency.
The other candidates are, by constituency:
- Akulliq — Steve Mapsalak (incumbent), John Ningark, Marius Tungilik.
- Amittuq — Joanna Haulli Quassa, Louis Tapardjuk (incumbent).
- Arviat — Peter Kritaqliluk, Sheila Napayok, Daniel Shewchuk.
- Baker Lake — David Simailak (incumbent), Moses Aupaluktuq, Elijah Amarook.
- Hudson Bay — Bill Fraser, Johnny Manning, Allan Rumbolt.
- Kugluktuk — Donald Havioyak, Peter Taptuna.
- Nanulik — Patterk Netser (incumbent), Johnny Ningeongan, Harry Tootoo.
- Nattilik — Paul Ikuallaq, Louie Kamookak, Enuk Pauloosie, Jeannie Kanayuk Ugyuk.
- Pangnirtung — Looee Arreak, Adamee Komoartok.
- Quttiktuq — Levi Barnabas (incumbent), Ron Elliot.
- Tununiq — James Arvaluk (incumbent), Simon Merkosak, Elizirie Peterloosie.
- Uqqummiut — James Arreak (incumbent), Loasie Audlakiak, Igah Hainnu.