There have been several queries to NWT Health lately about mould, which is coming from a source many might think unlikely: snow.

During spring thaw, something that looks like a spider web forms under melting snow. It's a fungus, called snow mould, which can trigger seasonal allergies.

Symptoms include a runny nose and watery eyes in people sensitive to spores from the mould, which is exposed as the snow melts.

Kami Kandola, the territory's chief medical health officer, says if you are under 12 or elderly, you shouldn't use over-the-counter cough and cold treatments.

She recommends using common sense. If snow mould is bothering you, avoid going outside and keep your indoor living space dust-free.

The health department is beginning a public information campaign about the problem.