The two passengers who survived a plane crash near Lutselk'e, N.W.T., are in stable condition in an Edmonton hospital, while the names of the two people who died have not yet been released.

Air Tindi confirmed the survivors of Tuesday's crash are both getting treatment in an Edmonton hospital.

"Our spirits are buoyed by the news of their condition and we wish them a total and speedy recovery," said Air Tindi president Chuck Parker in a release.

Cathy Menard, chief coroner of the Northwest Territories, said the bodies of the two people who died are still at the crash site.

"We can't release names of people that have deceased as we haven't done identification … and we can't until they return to Yellowknife," said Menard.


The crash of an Air Tindi Cessna Caravan, similiar to this one shown at the Yellowknife Airport, is the third plane crash in the Canadian Arctic since late August. (James MacKenzie/Canadian Press)

Menard said she is expecting the bodies to arrive in Yellowknife late Wednesday afternoon or evening.

Air Tindi thanked those who helped following the crash, including the first responders, Great Slave Helicopters, the RCMP, the people of Lutselk'e and the entire northern aviation community.

"The clear-headed, decisive actions in the initial hours following yesterday's accident are worthy of much praise," Parker said.


Flowers have been left at a monument overlooking the Air Tindi float base in Yellowknife following a fatal crash near Lutselk'e Tuesday. The Bush Pilot's monument is dedicated to pilots in the North. (Submitted by Jason Simpson)

The two survivors, Sheldon Catholique and Bernice Marlowe, were injured when the plane went down near Utsingi Point, N.W.T., which is about 40 kilometres from Lutselk'e. The plane crashed atop a cliff which stands about 600 feet tall.

The community of Lutselk'e is in shock following the tragedy.

Sheldon Yamkovy grew up with both survivors.

"Sheldon and Bernice are my relatives," he said. "All our minds are with them all … with safety always on our mind because we want our loved ones safe and around us all the time."

Brian Green is the manager of the Co-op in Lutselk'e. He said many in the community are on edge.

"Well right now everyone is a bit nervous and afraid of flying," he said. "You know, it is a way of life here and people will still fly, but right now there are a few people who are nervous, and I'm one of them."

Flags on all government buildings in Yellowknife and Lutselk'e are being flown at half-mast until sunset on Oct. 5 to honour the two people who died.

There is no word yet on when funerals will be held.