Premier Bob McLeod shuffled his cabinet ministers late Wednesday evening, with David Ramsay, Tom Beaulieu, Robert C. McLeod and Glen Abernethy headed for new portfolios.
"We are midway through our term and have accomplished many of the tasks we set for ourselves at the beginning of the 17th Legislative Assembly," McLeod said in the release. "As we prepare for the next two years and the new responsibilities we will be assuming from Canada, we have an opportunity to capitalize on our past successes and to refocus our energies for the task ahead."
The Premier announced some major new appointments in a press release Wednesday night, all set to take effect Thursday:
- David Ramsay assumes responsibility for the Department of Justice and the Public Utilities Board. He continues as Minister of Industry, Tourism and Investment.
- Tom Beaulieu assumes responsibility for the Departments of Transportation, Human Resources, and Public Works and Services.
- Glen Abernethy assumes responsibility for the Department of Health and Social Services, Seniors, and Persons with Disabilities.
- Robert C. McLeod has been designated Minister of Lands effective April 1, 2014. He will continue as Minister Responsible for the Northwest Territories Housing Corporation, Municipal and Community Affairs, Homelessness, and Youth.
- Ministers Jackson Lafferty, Michael Miltenberger and Premier McLeod will keep their existing portfolios.