Two fires broke out in Iqaluit Wednesday night.

The first was inside the eight-storey apartment building at the Astro Hill Complex shortly after 8 p.m.

A woman was able to extinguish the fire in her apartment before help arrived but the entire building was evacuated. The woman was treated for smoke inhalation.

A second fire happened early in the morning at house 117 and resulted in more serious injuries. Two people were treated in hospital overnight for smoke inhalation and first degree burns.

Fire Chief Luc Grandmaison said a space heater was placed too close to a bed, and caused the fire.

Grandmaison said the house fire caused more than $50,000 in damage, and that the Red Cross will be finding shelter for the people affected by it.

The fire department said both fires were accidental.