A thunderstorm that hit Yellowknife, N.W.T., on Wednesday night mixed with thick clouds of smoke from nearby wildfires, rendering the sky shades of orange and yellow, and making some lightning strikes appear almost red in colour.
Fire in the sky: 'Apocalypse' thunderstorm rolls into Yellowknife
Storm clouds mixed with wildfire smoke, producing optical illusions like 'red' lightning
CBC News Posted: Jul 30, 2014 6:36 PM CT Last Updated: Jul 31, 2014 7:09 AM CT
Latest North News Headlines
Ship was lost in 1845 in a Nunavut bay
Parks Canada underwater archeologists explore the wreck off the coast of Nunavut
First Nations teens in the Yukon have taken traditional hunting paths and turned them into acclaimed mountain bike trails.
A Ryerson University student has built an greenhouse on the Arctic Circle that allows people in the far North to grow fresh produce.
Top News Headlines
- How one man's basement collection became 'a Canadian treasure'
- 'It all started with a pizza': How an American priest learned Inuktitut in just over 1.5 years
- 3 men presumed dead after snowmobile breaks through ice on Nunavut cargo run
- Blade removed from N.W.T. man's back - 3 years later
- Ted's incredible journey: SPCA dog escapes, treks across town to find woman who fed him treats