A thunderstorm that hit Yellowknife, N.W.T., on Wednesday night mixed with thick clouds of smoke from nearby wildfires, rendering the sky shades of orange and yellow, and making some lightning strikes appear almost red in colour.
Fire in the sky: 'Apocalypse' thunderstorm rolls into Yellowknife
Storm clouds mixed with wildfire smoke, producing optical illusions like 'red' lightning
CBC News Posted: Jul 30, 2014 6:36 PM CT Last Updated: Jul 31, 2014 7:09 AM CT
Severe weather warnings or watches in effect for:
Light Snow and Blowing Snow
Latest North News Headlines
Chief Roberta Joseph and Chief Simon Mervyn spoke to reporters on Parliament Hill
It was a rough start to the week for Everton Michael Lewis, who says he went for a Monday morning coffee run and came back to find his home in flames - but he was all smiles after being reunited with his puppy, which escaped the blaze.
Canadian researchers recently caught bowhead whales in an intimate act of deep exfoliation in Nunavut waters.
N.W.T. Justice Minister Louis Sebert narrowly survived a vote to remove him from cabinet on Oct. 18, after losing a confidence vote during the legislative assembly's midterm review. Here, Sebert speaks to MLAs immediately before the vote.
Top News Headlines
- Cancer survivor says travelling south for chemo left her 'drained'
- 20 family members and survivors expected to testify at MMIWG inquiry in Nunavut
- Another Yukon Arctic Ultra racer faces amputations due to frostbite
- Video shows disputed confrontation between Yukon officer and suspect
- RCMP make several arrests after finding drugs, cash in Behchoko