A thunderstorm that hit Yellowknife, N.W.T., on Wednesday night mixed with thick clouds of smoke from nearby wildfires, rendering the sky shades of orange and yellow, and making some lightning strikes appear almost red in colour.
Fire in the sky: 'Apocalypse' thunderstorm rolls into Yellowknife
Storm clouds mixed with wildfire smoke, producing optical illusions like 'red' lightning
CBC News Posted: Jul 30, 2014 6:36 PM CT Last Updated: Jul 31, 2014 7:09 AM CT
- RIDING PROFILE | Lake Laberge — Julie Anne Ames, Brad Cathers, Anne Tayler, Alan Young
- RIDING PROFILE | Whitehorse West — Stu Clark, Richard Mostyn, Elaine Taylor
- RIDING PROFILE | Riverdale South — Danny Macdonald, Tracy McPhee, Jan Stick
- Yukon's chief electoral officer starts inquiry into Mountainview riding
Latest North News Headlines
Ship was lost in 1845 in a Nunavut bay
Parks Canada underwater archeologists explore the wreck off the coast of Nunavut
First Nations teens in the Yukon have taken traditional hunting paths and turned them into acclaimed mountain bike trails.
A Ryerson University student has built an greenhouse on the Arctic Circle that allows people in the far North to grow fresh produce.
Top News Headlines
- 48 killed, 116 wounded after gunmen attack Pakistani police training centre
- Alberta judges ordered 4-year-old not to wear girls' clothes in public
- 'It was not being held by police': Colten Boushie family lawyer says vehicle related to shooting compromised
- Conservatives projected to retain Alta. seat in federal byelection
- Inuk artist still seeking compensation for carvings broken during air travel
- Man dies after fall from Yellowknife apartment balcony
- Yukon RCMP find vehicle that left scene of Matthew Devellano homicide
- Meet wrestling's fur-clad, beer-swilling 'King of the Yukon'
- Amid suicide crisis, Nunavut MLA wants more traditional Inuit counselling