A thunderstorm that hit Yellowknife, N.W.T., on Wednesday night mixed with thick clouds of smoke from nearby wildfires, rendering the sky shades of orange and yellow, and making some lightning strikes appear almost red in colour.
Fire in the sky: 'Apocalypse' thunderstorm rolls into Yellowknife
Storm clouds mixed with wildfire smoke, producing optical illusions like 'red' lightning
CBC News Posted: Jul 30, 2014 6:36 PM CT Last Updated: Jul 31, 2014 7:09 AM CT
Latest North News Headlines
Tired of waiting for a place to live, Igloolik elder Theo Kangok built his own out of salvaged materials. His plight is not unusual as thousands wait for social housing across Nunavut.
An icy, slippery day in Inuvik today, which saw quite a bit of snow fall this morning - on the last day of September.
Nathaniel Hamlyn is living in a house built by his 19-year-old brother Zachary, a carpentry apprentice in Yellowknife.
A film called Iqaluit: The Movie is being shot in Iqaluit and it's generating a lot of interest in acting and filmmaking in Nunavut.
Top News Headlines
- Nunavut housing shortage felt by many in Igloolik
- RCMP investigate 'sudden death' in Fort Liard
- Canada election 2015: Who's running in the Yukon riding?
- Elections Canada error: Yukoners told to vote 590km from home
- Atsiaq Allusuaq calls on Nunavut elders to boycott federal election
- Homeless in Igloolik: Family of 5 lives in a tent
- Montreal paddlers retracing voyageurs route arrive in Fort Simpson
- Canada election 2015: Who's running in the Nunavut riding?
- Canada election 2015: Who's running in the N.W.T. riding?
- Final arguments heard in Chris Cousins' lawsuit against QEC