A thunderstorm that hit Yellowknife, N.W.T., on Wednesday night mixed with thick clouds of smoke from nearby wildfires, rendering the sky shades of orange and yellow, and making some lightning strikes appear almost red in colour.
Fire in the sky: 'Apocalypse' thunderstorm rolls into Yellowknife
Storm clouds mixed with wildfire smoke, producing optical illusions like 'red' lightning
CBC News Posted: Jul 30, 2014 6:36 PM CT Last Updated: Jul 31, 2014 7:09 AM CT
Latest North News Headlines
Top News Headlines
- Oymyakon, Russia: the coldest place on Earth
- Quebec gov't stance dismays francophone school supporters
- Yukon pilot aims for authenticity in bush plane restoration
- Upside-down Antarctica iceberg looks blue
- Laser pointed at Keewatin Air plane during landing in Iqaluit
- Taekwondo helps Nunavut mother heal from son's suicide
- Yukon judge sentences brothers in case that divides community
- Nunavut's hunger problem: 'We can't pretend it doesn't exist anymore'
- RCMP seize crack from 2nd Yellowknife apartment
- Successful air search and rescue conducted near Arviat, Nunavut