A thunderstorm that hit Yellowknife, N.W.T., on Wednesday night mixed with thick clouds of smoke from nearby wildfires, rendering the sky shades of orange and yellow, and making some lightning strikes appear almost red in colour.
Fire in the sky: 'Apocalypse' thunderstorm rolls into Yellowknife
Storm clouds mixed with wildfire smoke, producing optical illusions like 'red' lightning
CBC News Posted: Jul 30, 2014 6:36 PM CT Last Updated: Jul 31, 2014 7:09 AM CT
Latest North News Headlines
Top News Headlines
- Atanarjuat voted No. 1 Canadian film of all time
- Ottawa testing $620K stealth snowmobile for Arctic
- In Yellowknife, victim of drunk driving hit starts drive-home business
- Yellowknife Catholic School Board apologizes for employee's comments
- Iqaluit teens share Inuit traditions with P.E.I. students
- A roof-dwelling dog's eye view of Fort Good Hope, N.W.T.
- Police 'wrong tool' to deal with homelessness, says head of Yukon RCMP
- Tuktoyaktuk store manager has novel approach to shoplifters
- Funeral Saturday for 5 Mistissini Cree hunters who died in cabin fire
- Pangnirtung state of emergency remains; 4 generators delivered