A thunderstorm that hit Yellowknife, N.W.T., on Wednesday night mixed with thick clouds of smoke from nearby wildfires, rendering the sky shades of orange and yellow, and making some lightning strikes appear almost red in colour.
Fire in the sky: 'Apocalypse' thunderstorm rolls into Yellowknife
Storm clouds mixed with wildfire smoke, producing optical illusions like 'red' lightning
CBC News Posted: Jul 30, 2014 6:36 PM CT Last Updated: Jul 31, 2014 7:09 AM CT
Latest North News Headlines
Take a ride with the CBC on the ice road over the Yukon River from West Dawson to Dawson City.
Firebean Coffee Roasters is a Whitehorse area start-up that puts a unique spin on coffee roasting.
11-day event sees mushers and dogs travelling 1,000 km
That's one way to get out of paying a ticket! Annemieke Mulders caught this raven snatching up a parking ticket in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.
Top News Headlines
- Trump and the Crown: Brits unsettled over U.S. president getting royal treatment
- 'Feeling squeezed out': Will a move to save Vancouver's housing past compromise its future?
- Government to weed out pesticides from foreign websites
- Government by billionaires: The White House sees the richest cabinet since Hoover: Don Pittis
- How Yukoners reacted when most of their territory went without power
- Unusual warm February weather hits most of the N.W.T
- Natural gas leaking from pipeline in Alaska's Cook Inlet
- Your North: Best reader photos for the week of Feb. 13
- Alaska man delivers country food by snowmobile to Aklavik, N.W.T., relatives