A thunderstorm that hit Yellowknife, N.W.T., on Wednesday night mixed with thick clouds of smoke from nearby wildfires, rendering the sky shades of orange and yellow, and making some lightning strikes appear almost red in colour.
Fire in the sky: 'Apocalypse' thunderstorm rolls into Yellowknife
Storm clouds mixed with wildfire smoke, producing optical illusions like 'red' lightning
CBC News Posted: Jul 30, 2014 6:36 PM CT Last Updated: Jul 31, 2014 7:09 AM CT
Severe weather warnings or watches in effect for:
Latest North News Headlines
Take a ride with the CBC on the ice road over the Yukon River from West Dawson to Dawson City.
Firebean Coffee Roasters is a Whitehorse area start-up that puts a unique spin on coffee roasting.
11-day event sees mushers and dogs travelling 1,000 km
That's one way to get out of paying a ticket! Annemieke Mulders caught this raven snatching up a parking ticket in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.
Top News Headlines
- 'Luckiest 2 guys in the Arctic' rescued by military plane training for search and rescue
- Canadian North's owner says airline is now free of NTCL debt
- Yellowknife woman on the shortlist to become Canada's next astronaut
- N.W.T.'s Foxfire diamond glows brightly on international stage
- 'The barrenlands are not a friendly place,' says N.W.T. trapper after 2 searches in 1 month