A thunderstorm that hit Yellowknife, N.W.T., on Wednesday night mixed with thick clouds of smoke from nearby wildfires, rendering the sky shades of orange and yellow, and making some lightning strikes appear almost red in colour.
Fire in the sky: 'Apocalypse' thunderstorm rolls into Yellowknife
Storm clouds mixed with wildfire smoke, producing optical illusions like 'red' lightning
CBC News Posted: Jul 30, 2014 6:36 PM CT Last Updated: Jul 31, 2014 7:09 AM CT
Latest North News Headlines
Ship was lost in 1845 in a Nunavut bay
Parks Canada underwater archeologists explore the wreck off the coast of Nunavut
First Nations teens in the Yukon have taken traditional hunting paths and turned them into acclaimed mountain bike trails.
A Ryerson University student has built an greenhouse on the Arctic Circle that allows people in the far North to grow fresh produce.
Top News Headlines
- World powers admit political solution to Syrian war might not be possible: Derek Stoffel
- Homa Hoodfar, Concordia professor, released from Tehran jail
- Teen charged with murder in nightclub death of Calgary Stampeders' Mylan Hicks
- Clinton vs. Trump: Clashing debate-prep styles hint at sharp contrasts on stage
- Reviewed again? Potential 'systemic issue' for northern taxpayers, ombudsman says
- Whitehorse business owner 'really angry' after multiple burglaries
- Time for the North to move to a knowledge-based economy, says UArctic president
- Sir John Franklin's long-lost HMS Terror believed found
- Out of the wild: Police chase bear through Anchorage, Alaska