Demolition work on Whitehorse's old F.H. Collins Secondary School will begin in April, according to the territorial government.
The final dismissal bell rang at the 53-year-old building last month. Students began classes this month at the new F.H. Collins building, next door.
Ben Horowitz, with Yukon's department of Highways and Public Works, said the government expects to spend roughly $2 million to tear down the old building. However, he said the final cost may depend on how much hazardous waste is found.
Horowitz said an assessment will be done before any demolition work begins.
"It could be insulation, and it could be any number of things. But we won't really know that until the coming months when we put together the complete tender package," he said.
Horowitz said some items and material from the old building may be auctioned off, with revenue going to the government. He's not sure whether it will be a public auction but expects to have more details later this month.
Meanwhile, an official opening ceremony at the new school is scheduled for Wednesday evening from 7 to 9 p.m., in the gymnasium and lobby.